Holiday tradition going strong with 21st year of Fantasy in Lights | Arts & Culture
PINE MOUNTAIN, GA - Fantasy in Lights at Callaway Gardens has been a holiday fixture in Pine Mountain for the last 21 years.
It was recently named by National Geographic Traveler a "Top 10 Places to See Holiday Lights."
Curious about what all goes in to this huge production? Here are a few fun facts.
1. Fantasy In Lights opened in 1992 with five scenes. Since then, it has grown to include more than a dozen lighted scenes with music and many with animation.
2. The original scenes were designed by professionals who had formerly worked with Disney’s Imagineering department.
3. If you connected all of the light strings used in Fantasy In Lights, they would stretch more than 725 miles. That’s enough to outline the state of South Carolina or stretch end to end from Pine Mountain to Baltimore, Md.
4. It takes six weeks to install the entire show, with each scene requiring three to four days for installation.
5. Each January, Fantasy In Lights is stored in a 6,500-square-foot warehouse, where it remains until the elves visit us again in the Fall to begin another year of the show!
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man scratches lofty $500K prize in West Point
- Two people found dead in Valley, Ala. home identified
- Authorities save Valley suspect from drowning in Chattahoochee River
- Valley Police make arrest in rape case, teen suspect connected to other crimes
- West Point Police searching for 3 home invasion/robbery suspects